Friday, January 27, 2006

This song is dedicated to ...

It's 1.56 a.m. on a schoolnight, I'm plodding through tedious Economics revision for a quiz in 6 hours' time, and I'm happy. Jack Johnson is singing about Cookie Jars and Rodeo Clowns, and I'm actually relishing the solitude of being the only person awake in a house of four. Fiddling around on my laptop, immersed in my Sennheiser world, I'm reminded of how important a role music played in my previous professional life, when a Beethoven symphony or india.arie ballad would sometimes be the only thing keeping me from keeling over in sheer boredom, or freaking out at moments of high stress.

Music has a wonderful way of breaking down barriers and bringing people together. Some of my most enjoyable moments in France so far have been spent around the dinner table, jumping from one iTunes song to the next, finding common musical ground with new friends. It's hard to explain why it gives me such great joy to find someone who has listened to 'Girl from Mars' on repeat for an entire car journey and can hum a song by the Boo Radleys; to drive through Paris with a carful of people singing along to Jack Johnson; to exchange iPods with someone who has both Kayne West and Leo Ku on his.

I'm reminded again of friends dear and far - of AG and her obsession with Ash and Jay; of B. and his phenomenal music collection in at least four different languages; of D. and his 'mix tapes'; of W. and his tireless attempts to teach me about classical music. I remember headbanging to Fountains of Wayne while stuck in Beijing traffic; sitting at Cafe Iguana, singing 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' in between laughing and gasping for air; looking up Guns n' Roses videos on the internet with N. and G.; sitting around for hours after the office X'mas party for a group '80s-singalong.

There's plenty of new music I have yet to discover, and I'm looking forward to learning from my friends.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you remember the time when you were girl from mars. i don't know if you knew that. oh we stayed up late playing cards henri winterman cigars. and she told never told me her name. i still love you the girl from mars.

nice! just had to.

3:24 am  
Blogger HairyDonut said...

What a coincidence. I just put in an entry abt Joni Mitchell songs.

Everyone and their mother has an iPod.

3:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey i make good mix tapes! They r still for sale cheap cheap

7:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

english, mandarin, cantonese, japanese. yeah, i guess. the odd album or two in spanish doesn't count.
hey, sandy lam's got a new canto album out after all these years. she's revisiting her dance roots a la madonna. more importantly, she's still delivering the goods.
song that's stuck in my head at the moment - beyonce's check on it.

3:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home