Sunday, January 08, 2006

€60.90


That's how much it costs to feel Parisian for a day. More precisely, that's how much it cost me to 'do French things' on my first day trip to Paris as a semi-resident of France. For that princely sum, I got myself by train from Fontainebleau to Paris and back (50% off since we jumped the return train without punching our tickets); had a wonderfully thin and crisp Breton crepe at Creperie Josselin in the Montparnasse area; procured my first beauty product (if facial moisturiser counts as one) from French brand Avene; gaped at the variety of deli products and foodstuff in La Grande Epicerie of Bon Marche for the cost of a box of Lindt Pyreneens; stood in line for five precious macarons and a jar of Christine Ferber confiture from the much dreamed-about Pierre Herme; took away a tarte au citron from Legay Choc (all puns intended); and drank my first cafe creme standing at the bar counter of a French bookstore. The afternoon amusements of watching my housemate get picked up by a French policeman, and taking in the beat of the city along the Left Bank and across the Pont Neuf on foot, came free.

All things considered, €60.90 was a small price to pay for an adventure that finally helped me settle a question that has plagued me for some months now - Pierre Herme macarons aren't better or worse than those from Laduree, simply different.

3 Comments:

Blogger HairyDonut said...

But don't they still stick in your teeth? I like macaroons but they always glue up my top and bottom molars.

Super super super jealous and wish we could swap places. I'd head straight to the shoe shops though.

Please have a bowl of fantastic poisson soup for me. And tell me it DOES NOT taste like lobster bisque.

7:44 am  
Blogger lecoqsportif said...

i think you're referring to macaroons, that grotesque American coconut meringue-type confection, rather than French macarons, which at their most perfect are fragile shells encasing slightly chewy interiors that dissolve into their cream-based fillings.

Paris sales start this weekend!

12:21 am  
Blogger HairyDonut said...

Sigh. I have to bite down amazingly intense feelings of hatred and jealousy just to make it through your French entries. I'd run screaming from the computer except that my voice is already hoarse from a sore throat and I'm not in the mood to run even if it is warm here.

5:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home