Monday, December 12, 2005

Enchanteé, ma petite

It's been years since I've left junior college, but every now and then, I can still hear the voice of my favorite tutor intone: "enchanteé, muppetete". I always wondered what a 'muppetete' was but never asked, thinking it to be some cutesy form of addressing a younger person. Finally, sitting in French class almost a decade later, the words came to mind again, this time settling into their natural, separate order.

"Enchanted, my dear" is a charming phrase that the French often use to mean "delighted to meet you" or "delighted to hear that". And so, this post will serve as an introduction to my blog, which aims to do no more than describe episodes in my life. I used to be incredulous at the idea of writing such a blog - admittedly, half out of fear of having people ask, "who cares?!" (and half out of fear of having people reply "only she does, that narcissistic cow"). Then a friend of mine started her own blog, and through it I followed with interest various amusing incidents in her daily life, incidents which might be too quickly forgotten to make it into our next conversation, but knowledge of which gives me a greater sense of being in touch with her.

With my impending move to pursue my MBA in France, I figured that this might not be such a bad way to stay connected to my friends. Even so, there will always be a place for personal e-mail, since this will not be one of those blogs which are used as a carthartic forum for the owner's personal affairs. With more talent and greater diligence, I would have loved to turn this into one of those wonderful foodblogs stuffed with reviews, recipes and gorgeous photography. I may post the occasional recipe or recounting of a culinary adventure, but one of those foodblogs this is not. Neither will this be filled with clever commentary on current and social affairs, simply because I cannot bear the responsibility (or criticism). (I sometimes wonder whether bloggers like Xiaxue write solely about trivia because they would otherwise be paralysed by an overwhelming need to be accurate, objective and reasoned.)

Anyways, for those who are interested, I hope that this blog will help us keep in touch. Feel free to leave a comment or drop me an e-mail - it would be delightful to hear from you too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael McClung said...

hey, you're all, like, well-spoken and stuff. or well written. or whatever. anyway, come watch the baby!

10:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home